Welcome

Welcome!! We decided to create this site as an easier way to share all of our adventures with our family and friends. We moved to Okinawa, Japan in August 2008 and plan to be here until the summer of 2011. We hope you enjoy our site and we look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

Rohr Family

Rohr Family

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Forest Adventure




Thank you to everyone for your warm birthday wishes. I had a wonderful birthday. Karl surprised me with flowers with a very sweet note courtesy of the Fullwood Floral Delivery. (Karl worked with Jimmy and Sarah to order flowers since there is no FTD in Afghanistan or Okinawa). My sweet friends catered to my adventurous side and got me massages at various places around the island. Only catch is I need to figure out where they all are. That night we hit the town, sampling yummy concoctions from the local martini bar and belting out some amazing tunes at various karaoke bars. We finally stumbled home around 3:30.




























Earlier in the week, I did get to satisfy my outdoor cravings and went to Forest Adventure with Mary and Misty. Forest Adventure is a series of ziplines and obstacle courses running through the jungle http://www.forest-adventure-onna.jp/.%20Once%20again,%20you%20would%20never%20see%20a%20place%20like%20this%20in%20the%20states.%20TheOnce again, you would never see a place like this in the states. The average drop is 120 feet. There are no safety nets or guides. So if you drop something (or your harness isn't clipped in properly), it is gone! As the briefer told us, "You'll never see a park like this in the United States. There would be safety nets everywhere and a lawyer on every corner. You are responsible for your own safety. I will show you once how to properly clip your safety gear onto each obstacle. After that...you're on your own. If you pay attention and clip in correctly, you're going to have blast. If you don't, then you're day is going to suck." YIKES!!!





This was my second time. I went in September with the NOISC ladies. Karl and I were hoping to go, but never had the chance. My favorite part, probably because it is so scary, is the Tarzan swing. You climb onto a tiny platform, hook onto a swing and jump for your life into a cargo net. All you keep thinking is why would me a sane person jump of a perfectly good, although tiny platform. Your legs start shaking and then your adrenaline kicks in and whoosh through the air you go. This time I had to remind myself to open my eyes before I nailed the cargo net and forget to grab it with my legs. Once you've safely climbed the net, the course ends with a challenging obstacle course. Forest Adventures is one of my favorite places in Oki. I'll definitely go back.



1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Erica! Even though it's scary, it looks like you had a fantastic time. You can see this adventure was very challenging from the photos...

    Glad you had such a great birthday. It appears that you have lots of terrific friends.

    Love, Ange

    ReplyDelete